Let’s play the “cooking TV fancy dish name” game: I will go with “The chocolate and Caramel Fish with crispy chocolate scales swimming in a sea of sweetness”.
So it was my son’s 2nd birthday party and my girlfriend asked me to do a fish shaped cake for him because he likes fishes.
I am not really into baking but still tried and I think the result was not that bad in the end.
It is a fish shaped sponge cake with butter cream and smarties in the middle, topped with some caramel chocolate icing and smarties to do the scales. The white decoration was made using a white vanilla decoration tube.
But my son is not really into cake, so the cake was only eaten by adults.
- Sponge cake:
- 250gr of self rising Floor
- 250gr of Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 250gr of Butter
- Pinch of salt
- Butter cream:
- 100gr of Butter
- Icing sugar
- Dash of milk
- 50gr of Caramel chocolate or any chocolate you like
- 50gr of Butter
- 50gr of Sugar
- Dash of milk
- Vanilla icing decoration
- Preheat your oven at 180°C (360°K).
- Separate the whites and the yolks.
- Beat the yolks and the sugar until it begins to whiten a little bit.
- Melt the butter (in microwave oven for example), add it to the yolk-sugar mix and sieve the floor into it to. Mix until it is homogenous.
- In a bowl, beat the whites with a pinch of salt until it is nice and fluffy (“It’s so fluffy I gonna die!!!”).
- Mix slowly and carefully the fluffy whites with the rest. The more fluffyness you manage to keep the fluffier the sponge cake will be.
- Rub the shape you want to use with some butter and pour the dough.
Bake for 45 minutes.
- When ready let it cool down before doing anything to it.
- Warm up a little bit of milk.
- Mix the butter, the dash of hot milk and a little bit of icing sugar.
- Slowly add more icing sugar while mixing until it does not taste like butter anymore.
- Put all the ingredients together and melt them in a bain-marie while mixing.
- When it is homogenous, let it cool down before applying it.
- Cut the sponge cake in the shape you like. I had only a circle form for cooking so I first cut a rugby ball shape to do the body of the fish, ad from the remaining parts I did the tail shape.
- Cut it then in two, and spread the butter cream on the bottom part. Add some smarties at that moment. Put the second part on top.
- If you have some Butter cream left, you can use it to smooth the sides that you cut.
- Pour the Icing chocolate on top of it and distribute it all over the cake and the sides.
- Decorate the cake with Smarties by starting from the tail and putting Smarties with a slight angle to do the scales.
- Finally use the vanilla icing decoration to draw the remaining details such as the eyes.
PS: What kind of “cooking TV fancy dish name” would you give to that cake?