The idea of the “Italiano” burger comes from the restaurant at my work, which sometimes proposes an Italian Style Burger. But I am not quite fond of their burger, so I made my own one.
You might want to replace the normal burger buns by some Ciabatta buns, but I don’t like them. Another possibility could be to make my own buns with little pieces of sun-dried tomatoes inside or on top of the bun.
I am using mozzarella slices made for sandwiches, so it does not give any water. If you cannot find this kind of slices, just grate some low moisture mozzarella on the patty (after cooking the patty) and quickly pop it under a broiler until it melts as you desire.
Ingredients for 2 burgers:
- Burger buns
- 250gr of minced beef
- 2 tablespoons of parmesan
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 onion
- 2 mozzarella slices
- Half a zucchini
- Olive oil
- Italian herbs
- 1 tomato
- A handful (20gr) of basil
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Cut the onion into thin slices and cook then in a pan on low heat with a dash of olive oil.
- Chop the basil and mix it with the mayonnaise.
- Slice the zucchini and mix it with a teaspoon of olive oil and a shake of Italian herbs, and cook it in the oven for 10 minutes at 200°C (390°F).
- When the onion are soft and begin to slightly brown, add the balsamic vinegar and let it reduce on low heat.
- Mix the minced beef and the parmesan, separate in two patties and cook it as you like your patties. After flipping the patty, add the mozzarella slices.
- Finally toast the buns and build the burger (from bottom to top):
- Bottom bun
- Balsamic onions
- Patty with mozzarella
- Tomato slices
- Basil mayonnaise
- Top bun