The picture is not super sexy and missing some scallions, but this Double Fried Sticky Beef is amazing. It is saucy, chewy but still has a thin layer of crispiness. Also it is pretty simple, but requires a little bit of time due to the marinade and then the frying in batches, but it is definitely worth it.
In the picture, I served it on rice and garnished with sesame seeds, but if you have any scallions (I did not), add some to bring it even higher.
If you struggle to make the sauce thick enough to your taste (or just do not have the time for it), you can add a mix of corn starch and water to thicken it quicker and easier.
Ingredients for 2 to 3 portions
- 400-500gr of beef
- 1 small onion
- 2x1x1cm piece of ginger
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 cup of potato starch
- For the sauce:
- 3/4 of a cup of honey
- Half a cup of soy sauce
- Half a cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- Optionally 1 tablespoon of Gochujang
- Slice the beef into long strips that are between 0.5 and 1cm wide. (I prefer thinner than thicker)
- Grate the onion and the ginger and mix it with the 2 tablespoons of soy sauce to make the marinade.
- Mix the beef strips and the marinade and let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- While the beef marinates, make the sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer it at medium heat until it is as thick as you like.
- When the beef is marinated, add half a cup of starch to it and mix well. Separate the strips and let them rest for a couple of minute.
- Preheat some oil at 190°C (or 380°F).
- Finally, roll the strips in the remaining starch and shake off the excess and deep-fry the strips in batches for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, remove the strips from the oil and let them rest on a cooling rack.
- When all the strips have been fried a first time, fry them all once more 1 minutes then add them into the sauce and mix well.
- Finally serve it on some rice, top it with sesame seeds and some scallions.
A bowl of Double Fried Sticky Beef missing some scallions on top
#honey #Sesameoil #Food #Onion #Gochujang #ginger #Recipe #Asian #Soysauce #Dinner #Beef #Vinegar #Potatostarch