I was trying to make a chicken-mushroom sauce for pasta using some roasted chicken. But it did not turn out as I wished, and was actually perfect for a pie filling. So I did it into a pie, and it was just as I wanted it.
You can replace the shallots by two onions, or add leaks.
I always prefer precooking the dough before doing the sauce, but if you prefer doing it at the same time, you can put the dough in the oven just after pouring the cream in the mushrooms (point 8).
Ingredients for a pie for 4-5 persons:
- 1 roast chicken
- 700 gr of mushroom
- 4 shallots
- 2 rolls of pie dough
- 500 ml of full cream
- 1 tablespoon of parmesan
- 1 tablespoon of cheddar
- Some parsley (to taste and/or garnish)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Some salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven at 220°C (430°F) or 200°C (390°F) with the fan.
- Butter the pie dish with a tablespoon of butter.
- Unroll and lay one of the pie dough in the pie dish, and spike the dough with a fork. If you have any baking beads, add them on the dough so it does not rise too much.
- Bake the dough until it crisps. If the dough rises too much, I like to press it down (even if it breaks a little).
- Slice the mushrooms and dice thinly the shallots. Remove the skin from the roasted chicken and dice the skin and the meat separately.
- On medium heat, melt a tablespoon of butter in a pan and add the shallots.
- Cook until they soften and add the sliced mushrooms and diced chicken skin.
- The mushrooms will render a lot of water, so cook until most of the water evaporates. Then add the cream, some parsley and the diced chicken meat, and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 5 minutes and add the parmesan and cheddar to thicken the sauce a little. Taste the sauce, and add pepper and salt to taste and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Pour over the precooked dough and cover with the second pie dough. You can decorate it as you wish, and add some egg wash or milk wash.
- Bake in the oven at 220°C (430°F) or 200°C (390°F) until the top dough is golden brown.
Enjoy =D, but careful it is very very hot.