Even if the post is “Japanese salad”, the main focus of this post is the dressing of this salad. I used to organise sushi evenings at my place when I was a student, where I would make sushi for my friends. As a starter I would make a simple salad using some dressing that I would buy at the Japanese shop. That dressing was amazing, everybody loved it. So I tried to recreate it.
The salad itself is quite simple, but you can add more or less anything you would like. I will just provide you with what I usually use, but no amounts as everyone does as they like.
- 1 tablespoon of Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Mirin
- 1 tablespoon of White or rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Sesame oil
- Mix all the dressing ingredients.
- Slice thinly the cabbage, cucumber, carrot and onion (the best way is with a mandoline slicer).
- Cut into small dices the tomato.
- Mix everything together.