I was checking the burgers’ sub-reddit and somebody posted an “Oklahoma style” cheeseburger and it was a discovery for me. So what makes a burger “Oklahoma style” you will ask. I asked the same question on Reddit and it appears that the patty is cooked on one side like a smashburger, but then when you flip it, it cooks on a layer of thinly sliced onions on the other. It results in a crisp patty on one side and a steamed patty with lovely grilled onions on the other side.
So the patty is “Oklahoma style”, while the rest of the burger is quite a simple cheeseburger in order to focus on that patty. You can of course add whatever toppings you like, this recipe is more an idea and an explanation of my own version.
Ingredients for 3 burgers
- 3 burger buns
- 500gr of minced beef
- 2 onions
- 3 gherkins
- Some lettuce
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of sweet yellow mustard
- 3 slices of cheddar
- 3 slices of gouda
- Dice one of the onions and thinly slice the other. Also dice the gherkins.
- Mix the diced onion with the mayonnaise and the sweet yellow mustard.
- Mix the diced gherkins and the ketchup.
- Toast the buns.
- Preheat a pan with some oil on high heat until smoking point.
- Separate the mince into 3 balls. Put them one by one in the hot pan and press them down with something flat. Add salt and pepper to taste, then top it with a good layer of the sliced onion.
- Pre-build the burgers while the patties are cooking:
- Spread some of the ketchup/gherkin mix on the bottom bun, add a leaf of lettuce and the slice of gouda (the gouda will melt with the heat of the patty).
- Spread the mayonnaise/mustard/onion mix on the top bun.
- When the bottom side of the patty is beautifully brown and crispy, flip the patties so they lie on the onion layer. Add a slice of cheddar on each patty and cover.
- When the cheddar is melted, put the patties of the pre-built bottom bun and top with the top bun.
#Mayonnaise #Sweetyellowmustard #Lunch #Ketchup #Patty #Meat #Oklahoma #Mustard #Food #Onion #Gouda #Gherkin #lettuce #Recipe #Cheeseburger #Cooking #Cook #Dinner #Cheese #Smashburger #Beef #Cheddar #Burger