This Pineapple and Basil Hot Sauce goes really nicely with pork, falafels and chicken. The first flavour notes are herby sweet and sour before the chili kicks in.
I first tried the wonderful flavour mix of Pineapple and Basil as an icecream from one of the gelato shops by the lake, and it was a mind-blowing discovery.
You can also use this sauce to marinate pork or chicken.
- 1 pineapple
- 20gr of fresh basil
- 6 jalapeños
- 7 habaneros
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- Peel the pineapple and remove the core, then chop it into thumb size pieces.
- Deseed the chilis and cut into coarse pieces.
- Separate the stalks and the leaves of the basil.
- Put all the ingredients except the basil leaves in a pot.
- Bring it to a boil on high heat and boil for 5 minutes.
- Then reduce the heat to just a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Pour into a blender and add the basil leaves and blend it all together.
- You can sieve it to have a less chunky sauce, and finally bottle it.