I discovered this dish in a little Thaï restaurant next to my work and decided to try to do it at home. And it went pretty well.
Ingredients for one bowl:
- 120 gr of frozen shrimp without the shell
- One lemon grass stick
- 3 lime leaves
- A piece of galangal (1*1*3 cm approximately)
- Coconut milk
- Spicy oil, if you do not have any you can make it by crushing some chili and some green peppercorn, mixing it with some olive oil and let it infuse a little bit.
- Salt and pepper
I think that there are two schools for this recipe, the one that looks beautiful with everything in it and the one that is easy to eat. I present you the fist one here, but if you prefer the second one, simply do 4. 5. and 6. first, then seave the soup to remove the galangal, lime leaves and lemongrass and finally add the cooked shrimps.
- Slice or crush the lime leaves, slice diagonally the lemon grass in 1 cm pieces and cut in thin slices the galangal.
- In a pot, preheat some olive oil, and put the frozen shrimp in it.
- Stir fry it at high heat until it the shrimp are unfrozen.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the lime leaves, lemongrass and galangal. Cook it for 1 minute like this.
- Add 3 cups of coconut milk and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finally adjust the consistency by adding some coconut milk if you want it more liquid or simmer for a few more minutes if you prefer it more saucy. And adjust the taste with a little bit of salt, pepper and spicy oil.