It is a yummy, simple and quick recipe. By definition of 丼 :“-don” or “donburi” (“rice bowl dish”) it goes just perfect on some steaming hot rice.
Most of the recipes use dashi in the sauce. It gives more umami, or savouriness, to the sauce but it is already good without it. So for me it is quite optional.
This recipe does not use any oil, but if you want it slightly lighter, remove the skin of the chicken thigh.
Ingredients for 1 portion :
- 1 chicken thigh or breast
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion
- 1.5 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons of mirin
- 1.5 tablespoons of sake
- 3 tablespoons of dashi (optionnal)
- Mix the soy sauce, sugar, mirin, sake and dashi.
- Lightly beat the eggs.
- Slice the onion, and cut the chicken in bite size pieces.
- Cook the onion in a pan on medium-high heat, without any oil.
- When the onion begins turning translucent, add the sauce mix.
- When the sauce starts boiling, add the chicken and cook without mixing for 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the chicken, cook for one minute and add the eggs and cover.
- Cook until the eggs got the consistency you like, and serve on rice. You can additionally top it with spring onions.
#Sugar #Chicken #sake #Japan #Egg #Rice #Onion #Recipe #Soysauce #Mirin