As it name suggests, Sushi rice is essential in most of sushis. But I also like to have it as a side dish when having a sashimi platter.
You can adjust the sugar/vinegar/salt ratio to your tastes, but take in account what you will have with the rice (soy sauce, other kind of sauce, mayonnaise or Philadelphia cheese …).
- 2 cups of sushi rice
- 2,5 cups of water
- 1 tablespoons of sake
- 2 pieces of Kombu seaweed (5*2 cm) (optional)
- 4 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of mirin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Wash the rice until the washing water is transparent.
- Put the rice in your pot or cooker and add the water, the sake and the kombu.
- Cover and bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
- As soon as it begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and cook it for 10 to 15 minutes. It have to be covered all the time so you do not lose any steam.
- When the rice is cooked, transfer it in a bowl and let it cool down.
- While the rice cools down, mix in a bowl the vinegar, sugar, mirin and salt.
- Finally add the vinegar mix to the rice and mix softly.
Rework of the recipe of Sushi Rice
#Sugar #sake #Japan #Sashimi #Rice #Food #Sushi #Recipe #Mirin #Vinegar