My mom always says that the most important thing for the Russian Apple Sharlotka is to have almost more apples than dough. Also she frequently adds some dried apricots and prunes to her Sharlotka. One of these days, I’ll write her recipe down but today is my take on it.
You can use any apples that you want, but the best are sweet red apples. Also you can reduce the sugar amount if you prefer, as it is quite sweet but for me it is perfect with an espresso or some black tea. Concerning the sugar, I like using brown sugar but you can use white sugar also. The main difference will be the dough colour, which is darker with brown sugar.
- 3 apples
- 100gr of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 180gr or 1,5 cup of flour
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon
- Mix the eggs with the sugar.
- Add the flour and mix. The consistency should be still fairly liquid.
- Add the cinnamon.
- Peel and dice the apples and mix them with the dough.
- Butter a baking dish. You can also put a thin layer of granulated sugar on the butter so it is easier to get the cake out and you get a thin caramelised layer on the cake.
- Pour the cake mix into the baking dish and put in a cold oven before switching it on 180°C (or 360°F).
- Cook it for one hour to one hour and half, or until it passes the toothpick test.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool. You can add a shake of cinnamon sugar on top.