I came up with this Sweet and Sour Crispy Chicken after making the Double Fried Sticky Beef, as I loved the crispiness but wanted to apply it to chicken and add some veggies. Speaking of veggies, I like to use a red and an yellow bell pepper to have more colour in the dish. You can also add any veggie you like.
You can garnish it with some sesame seeds and/or sliced scallion. It goes well with some rice.
Concerning the potato starch, you can of course replace it with corn starch.
Ingredients for 3 portions
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup of potato starch
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 onions
- For the marinade:
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2x2x2cm piece of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 3 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- For the sauce:
- 1/3 a cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 a cup of vinegar
- 1/4 a cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon of Gochujang
- Crush the garlic, grate the ginger and mix it with the remaining marinade ingredients.
- Slice the chicken into long strips that are between 0.5 and 1cm wide and mix it with the marinade. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
- While it marinates, prepare the sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a sauce pan and bring it to a simmer. Leave it to simmer until the chicken is fried.
- Dice the onions and the bell peppers into bite size pieces.
- When the chicken strips are marinated, add half a cup of starch to it and mix well. Separate the strips and let them rest for a couple of minute.
- Preheat some oil at 190°C (or 380°F).
- Roll the strips in the remaining starch and shake off any excess and deep-fry the strips in batches for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, remove the strips from the oil and let them rest on a cooling rack.
- When all the strips have been fried a first time, fry them all once more for 1 minutes.
- In a pan, preheat some oil on high heat and stir-fry the onion and bell pepper pieces for 3 minutes.
- Add the fried chicken strips and the sauce. Mix well and serve.
Some sweet and sour crispy chicken with and without sesame seeds
The top shot
#Sour #Sugar #Starch #Chicken #Sweet #Garlic #Ketchup #Bellpepper #Food #Onion #Gochujang #ginger #Recipe #Soysauce #Cooking #Cook #Deepfried #Crispy #Vinegar