Vinegared rice can be used for sushi or used as side dish for chicken or fish-based meals.
Ingredients for two people :
- 150 gr (approx. half a cup) of round rice (the best is actual sushi rice)
- 1.5 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of sake
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Other possible ingredients (in case of side dish):
- Nori seaweed
- Sesame seeds
- Soja sauce
- Slowly wash the rice.
- Let it drain for 10 minutes.
- In a pot, put the rice and 250 ml of water (approx. a cup).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to the minimum while stirring so that the rice does not stick to the bottom and does not burn.
- When the water is completely evaporated or absorbed by the rice, taste the rice: if the center is still hard, add water and cook a little bit more, otherwise it’s ready.
- In a bowl mix the sugar, the salt, the sake and the rice vinegar. Once the sugar and salt are dissolved, add the mixture to the rice and mix it well.
At this point, if you make rice for sushi, just let the rice cool down.
Otherwise you can add grated ginger, sesame seeds, pieces of nori seaweed, wasabi and / or soy sauce.