Rework of the archived Chicken-Curry Burger recipe.
This chicken burger is one of my staple burgers. I have been doing it for at least seven years. At the time, I was living in a studio next to my university and my cooking skills were rather trivial.
The whole idea of this burger comes from the fact that I love McDonald’s chicken nuggets with the curry sauce. But I could not make a similar sauce, so I just mixed mayonnaise (very mild one like a Kewpie) and curry powder. It is very simple, I know, but it makes the burger pretty good.
You can use butterflied chicken breasts or minced chicken to make the patty. The breasts are generally juicier while the minced chicken is denser and allows you to add anything you want into it. If you go for minced meat, use wet hands to form the patties, it makes it easier.
As other tweaks that can be done, you can use any breadcrumbs but I still prefer using Panko breadcrumbs. You can also spice the flour as you prefer and, finally, choose your favorite curry powder. I usually go for some very basic curry powder, or some Madras curry powder
Ingredients for 2 burgers:
- 1 chicken breast or 200gr minced chicken
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 egg
- Half a teaspoon of Garam masala
- Panko breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- Half an onion
- 4 slices of tomato
- 4 slices of cheddar
- Some lettuce
- Burger buns
- Dice the onion thinly and mix it with 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
- Mix the rest of the mayonnaise with the curry powder.
- Prepare 3 bowls for the breading: one with a mix of the flour, the Garam masala and a pinch of salt and pepper, the second one with the egg beaten, and the last one with the Panko breadcrumbs.
- Butterfly the chicken breast then cut it in two, or form two patties from the minced chicken.
- Preheat some oil in a pan at medium heat.
- Bread the chicken by first putting it into the flour mix, shaking off any excess flour, then dipping in the egg and finally rolling in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the chicken until golden brown on both side.
- While the chicken is frying, toast the buns.
- When the chicken is ready, build the burger (from bottom to top):
- Bottom bun
- Curry-mayonnaise sauce
- Onion-mayonnaise mix
- Top bun