This “Bacon Brie-O” Burger is a beef cheeseburger with some thick cut bacon, melted Brie cheese and Onion jam. It has a beautiful balance between the sweet and sour jam, the saltiness and slight smokiness of the bacon and the earthiness and creaminess of the Brie cheese, plus of course the deliciousness of a cheeseburger.
The idea of this burger comes from a lovely bacon, brie and onion chutney sandwich I had last winter in the UK (from the The Goat Inn in Hertford).
Ingredients for a burger
- Burger buns
- 160-180gr of minced beef (or as much as you like)
- 1 leaf of lettuce
- 2 slices of tomato
- 1 slice of Cheddar
- 3 thick slices of bacon
- 40gr of Brie cheese with the rind
- Half an onion
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Start with making the onion jam, coarsely dice the onion and preheat a pan with some oil on medium-high heat.
- Add the onion to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low and slowly cook the onion for 10-15 minutes or until it starts to caramelise.
- Add the sugar and mix until homogeneous and then add the balsamic vinegar.
- Mix it and cook for 2 more minutes and set aside for later.
- Cut the tomato slices and season them with some salt and pepper.
- Cook the bacon the way you like it (I prefer doing it in the oven so I can melt the Brie at the same time) and melt the Brie.
- Toast the buns.
- Cook the the beef patty as you prefer and, after flipping it, top it with the Cheddar and cover so the Cheddar melts.
- Finally build the burger (from bottom to top):
- Bottom bun
- Tomato slices
- Beef patty with Cheddar
- Bacon slices
- Melted Brie
- Top bun with a spread of onion jam.
I hope you give it a try and like it 😉
The Bacon, Brie and Onion Jam sandwich from the The Goat Inn that inspired this burger
A bunch of “Bacon Brie-O” Burgers
The sexy shot of the “Bacon Brie-O” Burger