This recipe uses similar ingredients as “Char Sui”, except the red food coloring, but applying it to pulled pork instead of a roast.
It goes nicely with some fresh scallions and noodles, or some rice, or a lovely steamed bun.
- 1kg of Pork shoulder
- 1 Garlic head
- 1 thumb sized piece of Ginger
- 1 Onion
- 2 tbsp of Sake or Shaoxing wine
- 3 tbsp of Soy sauce
- 4 tbsp of Hoisin sauce
- Some Five spices mix
- Preheat your oven to 150°C (or 300°F).
- Rub the Five spices mix onto the Pork to cover it all.
- Slice the onions in two, separate the garlic cloves out of the garlic head and slice the ginger into 2mm thick slices.
- Add all the ingredients in a Dutch oven pot, cover and put in the oven.
- Cook it covered for three hours, turning the shoulder every hour.
- Remove the meat from the sauce and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- During this time, blend the remaining sauce with the baked garlic, ginger and onion. You can then reduce the sauce to your desired consistency.
- Finally shred the pork, and add it back into the sauce.