This is a recipe of a casserole-type of enchiladas using boiled and then pulled chicken, a spicy sauce and loads of cheese. It is a quite simple enchiladas but it turns out really good, and you can customise it as much as you want.
You can use any size of tortillas you like, and flour or corn works the same. Just do not overfill them.
For the cheese(s), I like to use a mix of mild provolone and cheddar, but you can use whatever you prefer, like some low moisture mozzarella to have more gooey-ness.
I also like to burn the skin of the bell pepper and tomatoes, but you can definitely do without it.
Additionally, I like to top it with some simple guacamole and salsa, but you can add some sour cream or anything you like.
Ingredients for 4-5 persons
- 500gr of chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 7 dried chipotle chillies
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 150gr of provolone
- 150gr of cheddar
- Some boiled water
- Some tortillas
- Remove the stems and seeds from the chipotles.
- Rehydrate the chipotles by putting them in a bowl and covering them with boiling water.
- Put the chicken breasts in a pot, as well as half the onion and a teaspoon of salt.
- Add water until it covers the chicken and put the pot on high heat.
- When the water begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Let it cool down while you are preparing the sauce.
- If you can/want, char the skin of the bell pepper and tomatoes. I generally remove the charred skin of the bell pepper but keep on the tomatoes.
- Put in a blender half an onion, the garlic cloves, tomatoes, bell pepper, the rehydrated chipotle with their water and a teaspoon of salt, and blend until smooth.
- Preheat some oil in a pan on medium-high heat and pour the sauce in it. Cook it for 5-10 minutes or until the consistency you like.
- Shred the chicken and grate the cheeses.
- Preheat your oven at 200°C (or 390°F).
- Pour a little of your sauce in a baking dish.
- Fill up the tortillas with the shredded chicken and half of the cheese, and put them in the baking dish.
- Pour the rest of the sauce on top of the tortilla and add the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is nicely melted and slightly golden-brown.